May - National Celiac Disease Awareness Month
ParaVida Wellness proudly makes all our meals and smoothies gluten free, allowing those with celiac disease to safely consume and enjoy our food. So, what is celiac disease and how are people affected by it?
According to Beyond Celiac, celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that is triggered by gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, rye, foods, and drinks that contain these grains. About three million people are affected by celiac disease, but 83% of people are undiagnosed (Beyond Celiac). If celiac disease is not diagnosed or treated, people are at-risk for other serious health conditions including different cancers, osteoporosis, anemia, and thyroid disease (Beyond Celiac).
Celiac disease is often called “The Invisible Illness” due to people not always appearing sick, even if they are (Beyond Celiac).
Beyond Celiac also mentions the following statistics about those with celiac disease:
- 49% have sacrificed life experiences due to having the disease
- 60% of gluten-free college students become sick from on-campus dining and 42% report missing a class due to being exposed to gluten
- 70% are still accidentally being exposed to gluten, putting their health at risk
- 49% of children exhibit anxiety, physical symptoms, excessive worry, and pessimism
- 37% of women have symptoms of depression
- 89% struggle with brain fog after exposure to gluten
- Women are more likely to struggle with infertility, miscarriage, or give birth prematurely
- 80% report having a higher negative quality of life
Those with celiac disease can struggle daily with preventing gluten exposure, especially those that are newly diagnosed. ParaVida Wellness has a wide variety of meals, and each meal is safe for those who are wanting to avoid gluten.
If you have any questions or are needing guidance on any food selections, come in and speak with our nutritionist. We would be happy to help you on your food journey!