June 1st: Olive Day & National Running Day
June 1st is Olive Day, and we are excited to share with you some of the amazing benefits of consuming olives!
Olives have a variety of health benefits, and some of them we did not know about till now. In an article titled “Health Benefits of Olives,” some of the benefits include the following:
- May protect against osteoporosis due to the vitamins and antioxidants olives contain
- May improve skin health and boost your immune system due to being rich in vitamin E
- Reduce the risk of heart disease
- Reduce the risk of cancers, including breast cancer, due to the compound oleocanthal, which has been shown to kill cancer cells
- Reduces the risk and treatment of cognitive diseases such as dementia due to oleocanthal
- Prevents diabetes by regulating glucose in the body (WebMD)
Olives can help reduce or prevent the onset of numerous health conditions. Using olive oil for cooking is a great way to keep your heart healthy and happy. This is due to olive oil containing a higher number of monounsaturated fats than other cooking oils. These fats can reduce cholesterol levels, thus lowering your chances of heart disease and stroke.
June 1st is also National Running Day and what better way to add onto that heart health by getting up and going for a run!
There are many benefits linked to running that have been backed up by science. Not only does running improve your cardiovascular health, but it also can provide you with better sleep quality, joint relief, and an improvement in mood and cognition (WebMD).
Walking is also a suitable alternative to running that you can participate in each day. Walking just 30 minutes a day can also increase cardiovascular health. It is also a good stepping stone to start getting into the routine of running if it something you want to build up to.
For more information and advice on the benefits of running and building your own personal running program, please visit our references below.
Brennan, Dan. “Olives: Health Benefits, Nutrients per Serving, Preparation Information, and More.” WebMD, WebMD, 20 Nov. 2020, https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-olives#1.
Contributors, WebMD Editorial. “How Does Running Improve Your Health?” WebMD, WebMD, https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/health-benefits-running.